Re: xmlconcat as variadic function

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: xmlconcat as variadic function
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> My point is it's a user-visible change --- maybe a subtle one, but still
>> a change that in principle could break some app somewhere --- and no
>> good reason has been put forward for making it.

> Uhh... what user is going to be calling pg_catalog.xmlconcat() in any
> version?

Anybody wanting to ensure that they got the system version of the
function rather than some other version.  In 8.3 that wasn't necessary
because the function had a special production, but with this change
schema-qualification would become *necessary* for anyone wanting to
avoid search path gotchas.  So arguably we'd be creating a security hole
that wasn't there in 8.3.  Immediately visible breakage would probably
only happen in the other direction, ie trying to run an 8.4 app on 8.3.

I still haven't heard an argument what's the value of changing it, anyway.