Re: Duplicate Values or Not?!

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Duplicate Values or Not?!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> If that does change the results, it indicates you've got strings which
>> are bytewise different but compare equal according to strcoll().  We've
>> seen this and other misbehaviors from some locale definitions when faced
>> with data that is invalid per the encoding the locale expects.

> There are plenty of non-bytewise-identical strings that do legitimately
> compare equal in various locales. Does the hash code hash strxfrm or the
> original bytes?

I think you are jumping to conclusions.  I have not yet seen it
demonstrated that any locale definition in use in-the-wild intends to
compare nonidentical strings as equal.  On the other hand, we have seen
plenty of cases of strcoll simply failing (delivering results that are
not even self-consistent) when faced with data it considers invalid.

I notice that the SUS permits strcoll to set errno if given invalid
data:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/strcoll.html
We are not currently checking for that, but probably we should be.

Сообщение: Re: Duplicate Values or Not?!
Сообщение: Re: Duplicate Values or Not?!