Re: Copy & Re-copy of DB

От Ron
Тема Re: Copy & Re-copy of DB
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1/23/21 6:52 AM, sivapostgres@yahoo.com wrote:
We are an ISV.   I agree the risk involved in sharing the data.  Still few of my customers need that facility and are accustomed to it when using SQL Server.   On switch over to PG, I face this issue as a limitation. Need to find and provide a solution.

For those customers, having good volume of data, we're implementing replication which resolves this issue.   For smaller sized database (company(ies)), they prefer (and we too) this copy and re-copy procedure, to transfer the data between home and office.

And this pandemic made this a compulsory feature, which they don't want to loose.  This transfer is not a one time job, it gets repeated, which they have been doing for years.  Here security is not a big concern for them.

Portability is the need for them.

Sadly, the architecture of Postgres means that there's no concept of detaching a single database

If you only have one database in the "cluster" (ancient Postgres term for "instance"), then you can stop the cluster "-m smart", tar up data/, and transfer it across.  You'll need to have a directory on your dev server, custom postgresql.conf (that among other things uses a different port number) and pg_hba.conf files,

TBH, tarring data/ isn't really necessary.

Happiness Always
BKR Sivaprakash

On Friday, 22 January, 2021, 09:28:13 pm IST, Rory Campbell-Lange <rory@campbell-lange.net> wrote:

On 22/01/21, Benedict Holland (benedict.m.holland@gmail.com) wrote:

> Sometimes it is easier to simply > replicate the existing bad process
> that a team agrees to rather than making > a better process.

As Alvar Aalto said in a lecture at MIT

    It is not by temporary building that Parthenon comes on Acropolis.