Error message for CREATE VIEW is confusing

От Pavel Golub
Тема Error message for CREATE VIEW is confusing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello, PostgreSQL.

Let's assume we have created MATERIALIZED VIEW, e.g.

CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW customer_v AS SELECT ....;

Then one wants to redefine this view as a regular view, e.g.

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW customer_v AS ....;

Error is rising:
ERROR:  "customer_v" is not a view
ERROR: "customer_v" is not a view
SQL-state: 42809

Should we change error message to something like "customer_v" has wrong
object type" (according to errcode appendix)? Or should we change word
"view" to "regular view" since we have "materialized" already, e.g.
"customer_v" is not a regular view"?

--
With best wishes,Pavel                          mailto:pavel@gf.microolap.com