Re: Upgrading from v7.1.3 to v7.4

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Upgrading from v7.1.3 to v7.4
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
"Sergio L. Garza M." <sergio_gza@checo.tv> writes:
> I was reading the installation manual at postgresql.org, section 14.4 (If
> you are upgrading) and saw I had to backup my databases located in
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/ and also suggested to move the old installation out
> of the way that is supposed to be in /usr/local/pgsql/

Since you have no existing data, you can ignore the advice about backing
up.

> 1)  Do I have to uninstall the current version 7.1.3 to install this new
> version 7.4?  If yes, how do I uninstall the current version?

If it was installed from RPMs (the likely case on a Red Hat system) then
"rpm -e" is what you want.  You might also consider installing the new
version from RPM rather than building your own.  I'm not sure if there
are prebuilt binary RPMs of 7.4 available for RHAS 2.1, but if not you
could grab the source RPM (SRPM) and build it yourself.

> 2)  If I only need to stop the current PostgreSQL server and install and run
> the new one, will there be any conflict issues later on?

No.  If you were wanting to run both versions in parallel then some care
would be needed, but you don't seem to need that.

> 3)  Is there anyone experienced enough that could help me with all this in
> case I need it?

pgsql-admin would probably be a better source of advice than
pgsql-novice.