Re: [HACKERS] Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctlstart without --wait

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctlstart without --wait
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/19/17 9:53 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Sure, but we're talking about replaying WAL vs. doing a checkpoint, not
> about writing WAL vs. replaying WAL.  Replaying WAL and doing a
> checkpoint both require writing to lots of different places across the
> filesystem, of course.

Yeah, but they are each doing different things, so you can't say that
one will take the same amount of time or strictly less than the other.
It might be a good first estimation, but my practical experience is that
it's not when it really matters. :-/