Re: Index AmInsert Parameter Confused?

От jacktby jacktby
Тема Re: Index AmInsert Parameter Confused?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

2023年9月27日 18:08,Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> 写道:

On Wed, 27 Sept 2023 at 05:03, jacktby jacktby <jacktby@gmail.com> wrote:

2023年9月27日 00:45,Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> 写道:

On Tue, 26 Sept 2023 at 18:38, jacktby jacktby <jacktby@gmail.com> wrote:

typedef bool (*aminsert_function) (Relation indexRelation,
Datum *values,
bool *isnull,
ItemPointer heap_tid,
Relation heapRelation,
IndexUniqueCheck checkUnique,
bool indexUnchanged,
struct IndexInfo *indexInfo);

Why is there a heap_tid, We haven’t inserted the value, so where does it from ?

Index insertion only happens after the TableAM tuple has been
inserted. As indexes refer to locations in the heap, this TID contains
the TID of the table tuple that contains the indexed values, so that
the index knows which tuple to refer to.

Note that access/amapi.h describes only index AM APIs; it does not
cover the table AM APIs descibed in access/tableam.h

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
1.Thanks, so if we insert a tuple into a table which has a index on itself, pg will insert tuple into heap firstly, and the give the heaptid form heap to the Index am api right?

Correct. I think this is also detailed in various places of the
documentation, yes.

2. I’m trying to implement a new index, but I just need the data held in index table, I hope it’s not inserted into heap, because the all data I want can be in index table.

In PostgreSQL, a table maintains the source of truth for the data, and
indexes are ephemeral data structures that improve the speed of
querying the data in their table. As such, dropping an index should
not impact the availability of the table's data.
If the only copy of your (non-derived) data is in the index, then it
is likely that some normal table operations will result in failures
due to the tableAM/indexAM breaking built-in assumptions about access
methods and data availability.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
Neon (https://neon.tech)
So do I need to free the ItemPointer and Values in the func implemented by myself?