Re: lazy snapshots?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: lazy snapshots?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> It's necessary to convince ourselves not only that this has some
> performance benefit but that it's actually correct.  It's easy to see
> that, if we never take a snapshot, all the tuple visibility decisions
> we make will be exactly identical to the ones that we would have made
> with a snapshot; the choice of snapshot in that case is arbitrary.
> But if we do eventually take a snapshot, we'll likely make different
> tuple visibility decisions than we would have made had we taken the
> snapshot earlier. However, the decisions that we make prior to taking
> the snapshot will be consistent with the snapshot, and we will
> certainly see the effects of all transactions that committed before we
> started.  We may also see the effects of some transactions that commit
> after we started, but that is OK: it is just as if our whole
> transaction had been started slightly later and then executed more
> quickly thereafter.

I don't think this is going to be acceptable at all.  You're assuming
that clients have no independent means of determining what order
transactions execute in, which isn't the case.  It would be quite
possible, for example, for a query submitted to one backend to see the
effects of a transaction that was submitted to another backend long
after the first query started.  If the two clients involved interact
at all, they're not going to be happy.  Even if they just compare
transaction timestamps, they're not going to be happy.

I'm less than convinced by the hypothesis that most transactions would
avoid taking snapshots in this regime, anyway.  It would only hold up
if there's little locality of reference in terms of which tuples are
getting examined/modified by concurrent transactions, and that's a
theory that seems much more likely to be wrong than right.

I wonder whether we could do something involving WAL properties --- the
current tuple visibility logic was designed before WAL existed, so it's
not exploiting that resource at all.  I'm imagining that the kernel of a
snapshot is just a WAL position, ie the end of WAL as of the time you
take the snapshot (easy to get in O(1) time).  Visibility tests then
reduce to "did this transaction commit with a WAL record located before
the specified position?".  You'd need some index datastructure that made
it reasonably cheap to find out the commit locations of recently
committed transactions, where "recent" means "back to recentGlobalXmin".
That seems possibly do-able, though I don't have a concrete design in
mind.

Сообщение: Re: default_statistics_target WAS: max_wal_senders must die
Сообщение: Re: default_statistics_target WAS: max_wal_senders must die