Re: encoding names

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: encoding names
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Thanks. BTW, I'm working on for dynamically loading the Unicode
> conversion functions to descrease the runtime memory requirement. The
> reason why I want to do this is:
> o they are huge (--enable-unicode-conversion will increase ~1MB in the
>   load module size)
> o nobody will use all of them at once. For example most Japanese users
>   are only interested in EUC/SJIS maps.

But is it really important?  All Unixen that I know of handle process
text segments on a page-by-page basis; pages that aren't actually being
touched won't get swapped in.  Thus, the unused maps will just sit on
disk, whether they are part of the main executable or a separate file.
I doubt there's any real performance gain to be had by making the maps
dynamically loadable.