Re: advice sought - general approaches to optimizing queries around "event streams"

От Brent Wood
Тема Re: advice sought - general approaches to optimizing queries around "event streams"
Дата
Список pgsql-general

We have a similar timeseries database approaching 500m records.

We partition the main tables (much like your events) into one year subsets, with a clustered index on timestamp for all but the live year.

https://blog.engineyard.com/2013/scaling-postgresql-performance-table-partitioning
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/ddl-partitioning.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/sql-cluster.html

As discussed here previously, you can also improve performance using hardware - SSD'd vs spindles. Also note that tablespaces, with indexes on your faster drives & data on slower ones can improve performance.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/manage-ag-tablespaces.html

Also make sure your db server is optimised for the database size & hardware configuration - like perhaps alloe fewer concurrent users, but more resources per user, or see what pgtune recommends.

Should help your performance, in terms of underlying db efficiency & performance, rather than tweaking your actual queries.

Brent Wood

Programme leader: Environmental Information Delivery
NIWA
DDI:  +64 (4) 3860529

Brent Wood
Principal Technician - GIS and Spatial Data Management
Programme Leader - Environmental Information Delivery
+64-4-386-0529 | 301 Evans Bay Parade, Greta Point, Wellington | www.niwa.co.nz
NIWA