postgres overall performance seems to degrade when large SELECT are requested

От Valentin Bogdanov
Тема postgres overall performance seems to degrade when large SELECT are requested
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
HI,

I have an application that maintains 150 open connections to a Postgres DB server. The application works fine without a
problemfor the most time.

The problem seem to arise when a SELECT that returns a lot of rows is executed or the SELECT is run on a large object.
Theseselects are run from time to time by a separate process whose purpose is to generate reports from the db data.

The problem is that when the SELECTs are run the main application starts running out of available connections which
meansthat postgres is not returning the query results fast enough. What I find a little bit starnge is that the report
engine'sSELECTs operate on a different set of tables than the ones the main application is using. Also the db box is
hardlybreaking a sweat, CPU and memory utilization are ridiculously low and IOwaits are typically less than 10%.

Has anyone experienced this? Are there any settings I can change to improve throughput?  Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
val

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.