Re: smallserial / serial2

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: smallserial / serial2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Mike Pultz" <mike@mikepultz.com> writes:
> I use tables all the time that have sequences on smallint's;
> I'd like to simplify my create files by not having to create the sequence
> first, but I also don't want to give up those 2 bytes per column!

A sequence that can only go to 32K doesn't seem all that generally
useful ...

Are you certain that you're really saving anything?  More likely than
not, the "saved" 2 bytes are going to disappear into alignment padding
of a later column or of the whole tuple.  Even if it really does help
for your case, that's another reason to doubt that it's generally
useful.

Сообщение: Re: hot backups: am I doing it wrong, or do we have a problem with pg_clog?
Сообщение: Re: hot backups: am I doing it wrong, or do we have a problem with pg_clog?