Re: [GENERAL] fgets failure in Solaris after patching

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [GENERAL] fgets failure in Solaris after patching
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Stephan, Richard" <RStephan@nyiso.com> writes:
> More information (9.0.8):

> $ pg_ctl start
> Killed
> fgets failure: Error 0
> The program "postgres" is needed by pg_ctl but was not found in the
> same directory as "/opt/postgres/9.0/bin/pg_ctl".
> Check your installation.

> $ postgres -V
> ld.so.1: postgres: fatal: libc.so.1: version `SUNW_1.22.7' not found (required by file
/opt/postgres/9.0/bin/postgres)
> ld.so.1: postgres: fatal: /usr/lib/libc.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
> Killed

Ah-hah, so your problem is a library mismatch between where you compiled
postgres and where you're trying to run it.

This is not the first time we've had to suggest that people run
"postgres -V" manually to debug a problem.  I see that find_other_exec()
intentionally routes the stderr output of that to /dev/null:

    snprintf(cmd, sizeof(cmd), "\"%s\" -V 2>%s", retpath, DEVNULL);

It strikes me that this is just a damfool idea.  Generally there should
be no stderr output, and if there is some, hiding it from the user is
not helpful.  Does anyone object to removing that redirection?