Re: restore problem with pg_dumpall dump (password authentication fail)

От Kenneth Lundin
Тема Re: restore problem with pg_dumpall dump (password authentication fail)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom,

Well, it's not really "I" that change the password, it happens in the backup dump file created automatically by pg_dumpall.

The thing is as an administrator, you want to be able to take a backup at certain points in time and then later flawlessly be able to restore that backup and end up in exactly the same state you were in when the backup was created. And since many times when you are doing a restore, you're in a time pinch since something probably have gone terribly wrong, then you don't want to have to muck around manipulating dump files in any way, you just want to do an instant restore and get your faulty system up and running asap.

To my understanding, the prefered way of doing online backups in postgres is using pg_dump to dump the database. And my point here was that there seem to be a flaw in this scheme. The script generated by pg_dumpall fails in my case when I'm doing the restore.

//Kenneth

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"Kenneth Lundin" <kenneth.lundin@dacom.se> writes:
> How do I avoid this scenario?

Don't change the postgres user's password in the middle of a dump/restore?

Сообщение: Re: restore problem with pg_dumpall dump (password authentication fail)
Сообщение: Re: restore problem with pg_dumpall dump (password authentication fail)