Re: strange behavior of .pgpass file

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: strange behavior of .pgpass file
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 6/20/23 11:59, Atul Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found some strange behaviour of postgres superuser password in my
> existing cluster, below is the basic outline of the setup.
> 1. version - postgres 12
> 2. replication - streaming replication async
> 3. OS- centos7
> 4. One Master, One Standby
>
> I have identical pgpass files on both server postgres home directory.
>
> So when I execute below command on slave node:
> psql -h slave_hostname/ip -U postgres -d postgres -p 5432 -c "select
> pg_is_in_recovery"
>
> I get error of password authentication:
>
> psql: error: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "postgres"
>
> password retrieved from file "/homedirectorypath/.pgpass"

I'm going to say this is failing because per:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/libpq-pgpass.html

hostname:port:database:username:password

and when you are running it the hostname is not matching what you think
it is and the wrong password is being returned. Whereas the example
below is matching correctly.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com