Re: Trouble Upgrading Postgres

От Daniel Verite
Тема Re: Trouble Upgrading Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
    Charles Martin wrote:

> >So where is the server located relative to the pg_dump client?
> >On the same machine?
> >If so is it a virtual machine e.g AWS?
> >Across a local or remote network?
>

> I gave the command in a terminal session after SSHing to the server from
> the same network. It is not a virtual machine.

That means that pg_dump runs on the same machine as the server.

It's plausible that, with only 4GB of RAM, the table that fails
to dump has some very large rows that can't be allocated, especially
since both the backend and pg_dump need to have it simultaneously
in memory.

> pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.docfile (docfile_pkey,
> docfileoriginalname, ordernumber, versionnum, docfilecontents,
> docfilepath, docfileextension, enddatetime, endby, editnum, insby,
> insdatetime, modby, moddatetime, active, doc_fkey) TO stdout;

The "docfilecontents" column suggests that it might contain
large contents. If its type is bytea, it's going to be expanded
to twice its size to build the hex representation.

You may get a sense on how big is the biggest row expressed
as text with this query:
 SELECT max(length(contents.*::text)) FROM public.docfile;

If it's big enough that it might cause the OOM issue,
try to run pg_dump remotely through an SSH tunnel [1], which you
can already do in terms of network permissions since you log in with
SSH, so pg_dump itself does not use any memory on the server.

Also, if the machine doesn't have swap space, it might be
that just adding a few GB's of swap would make the operation
succeed.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ssh-tunnels.html

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite

Сообщение: Re: Trouble Upgrading Postgres
Сообщение: Re: Trouble Upgrading Postgres