Re: RFC: PostgreSQL Add-On Network

От Dave Page
Тема Re: RFC: PostgreSQL Add-On Network
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 21:07, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
>> Hackers,
>>
>> I've posted a [plan] to implement PGAN][], a CPAN for PostgreSQL extensions. I've tried to closely follow the [CPAN
philosophy][]to come up with a plan that requires a minimum-work implementation that builds on the existing PostgreSQL
toolsand the examples of the [CPAN][] and [JSAN][]. My hope is that it's full of [JFDI][]! I would be very grateful for
feedbackand suggestions.

>> [plan]: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGAN
>> [CPAN philosophy]: http://use.perl.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/12/1616209
>> [CPAN]: http://cpan.org/
>> [JSAN]: http://www.openjsan.org
>> [JFDI]: http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/JFDI
>
> One note on a completely different topic from where this thread
> appears to have gone.. :-)
>
> Is there a particular reason not to use the existing mirroring network
> to distribute the files? If not, then I suggest using them should be
> part of the design.

With StackBuilder, a package can either be listed as a path, relative
to the FTP root on the mirror network, or using an alternate URL for
something stored elsewhere.

The current set of active mirrors can always be found at
http://www.postgresql.org/mirrors.xml, so you can build URLs on the
mirror network using the protocol, host, port and path from the mirror
list, and then the relative path for the file.

--
Dave Page