Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

От Dave Page
Тема Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Дата
Re: pgFoundry Download URLs  (Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>)
Re: pgFoundry Download URLs  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-www
On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 18:37 +0100, Guillaume Smet wrote:
>
> <major snip>
>
> I believe people are looking at this the wrong way. Migration is such a
> trivial issue in comparison to the larger problem it isn't even funny.
>
> .Org has NEVER made Gborg or PgFoundry a priority. Migration to
> FusionForge will not change that because Migration is the easiest of the
> problems to solve.

At the risk of pissing off some people, .org did put effort into
maintaining GBorg - it worked very well and was supported by it's
original author and others who chipped in from time to time as needed.
It did not put effort into maintaining pgFoundry, largely because it
was setup outside of the normal .org processes and infrastructure
management (consider for example, the fact that it's pgfoundry.org,
and not part of postgresql.org like all the other services we
maintain).

I'll also note that it's extremely easy to say that migration isn't an
issue when you host most/all of your projects elsewhere, and won't be
migrating anyone else's projects. As I believe the only person that
actually did migrate active projects from GBorg to pgFoundry, I can
say with complete confidence that it is not trivial in the slightest,
and that it will be much easier to upgrade and maintain a new,
properly documented VM within the normal management processes than go
through the pain of migrating just a handful of projects. The issue,
is simply one of time, and going forward, ensuring the the site is
properly maintained by people willing to put in the effort, rather
than leave it to fester. In the hands of the infrastructure team, much
of the problem vanishes as it becomes 'just another VM' to manage.

In any case, pgFoundry isn't going anywhere. If people don't want to
use it, that's fine, but there are many people that do actively use it
and don't have the time, energy or desire to try to migrate elsewhere,
myself included.

Oh, and to end on a positive note - Happy New Year folks :-)

--
Dave Page