Re: Documentation - PgAdmin

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Documentation - PgAdmin
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Guillaume Lelarge<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> If I remember well, the reason was the installer would be much bigger if we
> still included it. And we would also have to carry the pgAdmin CHM, and the
> Slony one, and the EnterpriseDB one and now the Greenplum one. And what about
> translations? If we do this, 90% of the installer size would be for docs. Kind
> of strange if you want my opinion.

Yeah, that's a major part of it. The manual hasn't been in pgAdmin for
something like 15 months. This is because:

- It's difficult and error-prone to merge the manuals into one CHM file
- We (== I) had to update the CHM file whenever PostgreSQL or Slony was updated.
- Bundling the manual bloated the distribution size
- Bundling the manual pretty much prevented the manual being translated.
- The bundled manual was no use unless you used the latest version of
PostgreSQL.
- The bundled manual was of little use to EnterpriseDB or Greenplum users.

> The way we do it now allows you to read the docs on the Internet. But you can
> grab of copy of those, put them on your hard disk, and change the preferences
> to show them instead of the internet ones.

Yes - in fact it's even more flexible than that:

PG help path - This option is used to specify the path to the
PostgreSQL help files. This may be a URL or directory containing the
HTML format help files (note that some browsers may require
file:///path/to/local/files/ notation, whilst others require
/path/to/local/files/ notation), or the path to a Compiled HTML Help
(.chm) file (on Windows), an HTML Help project (.hhp) file, or a Zip
archive containing the HTML files and the HTML Help project file. The
PostgreSQL Help is used when selected from the Help menu, or when
working with many database objects on PostgreSQL servers.

Similar options are present for EnterpriseDB, Greenplum and Slony help.

--
Dave Page