Re: BUG #4846: Error reading file: config

От Dave Page
Тема Re: BUG #4846: Error reading file: config
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Anders Gunnarsson<fsogren@passagen.se> wrote:
> Very fast support!
>
> I managed to install it but when I tried to start the program (Holdem
> Manager) which uses PostgreSQL it says: "new encoding (SQL_ASCII) is
> incompatible with the encoding of the template database (UTF8)
>
> I tried two times, both with "install template" and without, same result
>
> Do you know how to solve this :(

The first thing to do is to complain to your software vendor for
requiring SQL_ASCII - that's an encoding option that basically means
'I don't care about the encoding of my data, just store any old
garbage'.

PostgreSQL has got pretty strict recently about enforcing encoding
compatibility. If you need to create an SQL_ASCII database from a
UTF-8 cluster, you'll need to use template0 as the template database,
eg:

CREATE DATABASE mydb TEMPLATE template0;

You can also do that in pgAdmin, by selecting template0 as the
template in the create database dialog.

I should also point out that you've downloaded a beta version of
PostgreSQL, which is not guaranteed to be stable, nor will it
necessarily be possible to upgrade to later releases. For production
use, you should use PostgreSQL 8.8.7 which is the current stable
release.

--
Dave Page