Re: package for debugger/wizard was: Feedback on PG?

От Dave Page
Тема Re: package for debugger/wizard was: Feedback on PG?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
<mail@webthatworks.it> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 May 2009 07:46:02 -0400
> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>
>> > Beside the fact I can only thank for all the great work around
>> > postgresql, is there a reason we can't have something similar on
>> > eg. Debian that will let us have a tuning wizard and a debugger
>> > that "just works" with an aptitude install?
>
>> No, other than resources. We maintain close to 100 installers now,
>> just for the EnterpriseDB supplied packages. Producing
>> platform-specific builds of them as well as the one-click
>> installers would be a mammoth task.
>
> My universe is Debian bound... so I even don't know if there is a
> *nix version of the tuning wizard.
> I'd consider it a quite useful tool even for "marketing" purposes on
> Linux too.
> Bad performance without tuning is a common thread here.

There is a linux version.

> I really didn't have time to investigate about the debugger, I'd
> expect that on Windows it "just works".
> While many things on *nix just work, debugging pg functions on Linux
> is not one of those.
> As you may have guessed my definition of "just works" in not that
> different from "aptitude install".

The debugger will work pretty much out of the box on Linux exactly as
it does on Windows if you use the one-click installers.

> I still have to find an howto for installing edb in Debian.
> Could it be packaged for Debian if there were resources?

We use a universal installer for edb (by which I assume you mean
Postgres Plus Advanced Server). Our customers run such a wide range of
platforms that it's simply not practical for us to build and properly
QA distro-native packages for every possibility, especially the less
commonly used platforms like Debian (I know, don't shoot me, but we're
more likely to see RHEL or Suse Enterprise in production).

--
Dave Page