Re: how to dispaly data in grid

От Dave Page
Тема Re: how to dispaly data in grid
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> In import function, some wxGrid is used to display preview data.
> I consider it is better that all of wxGrid in the pgAdmin
> should use same data style.
>
> Now, there is a option called "Show NULL values as <NULL>".
> But it only affect query tool. The issue is:
> If checked, the string "<NULL>" and NULL can't be distincted.
> If not, empty string and NULL can't be distincted.
>
> In data grid, this option is ignored.
> NULL is displayed as blank, empty string as ''.
> If the data is two single quotation marks, it is displayed as \'\'.
> Other amount, no change with original data.(''' as ''', '''' as '''', and so on)
>
> So, we should define some rules to deal this.

Other places act as the edit grid does (more so, since a commit I made
on Friday). The Query Tool is a little different as it doesn't have to
deal with users trying to enter those values, hence it doesn't make as
much sense to display '' as \'\' and so on (and in my opinion is
likely to confuse the user who may expect to see exactly the data that
is present).

I would suggest that the import tool should follow the lead of the
Query Tool as it is displaying read-only data.

I don't have a problem in showing the two classes of data differently
as they have two distinct requirements. We should ensure that no more
variations crop up though.

--
Dave Page