Re: BUG #4538: shared memory

От Dave Page
Тема Re: BUG #4538: shared memory
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:52 PM, Juan <juanitosanmartin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      4538
> Logged by:          Juan
> Email address:      juanitosanmartin@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.5.3.1
> Operating system:   Mac os x
> Details:
>
> i can't install, i have problem with shared memory:
> Your system seems to be configured with less than 32mb of shared memory,
> which is required for this application. Please see the instaler README
> file...
>
> ... and where is the README file??????????????

Good question! I'll get that fixed, but in the meantime, here's the
text you need:

Before running the installation, ensure that your system is configured with
a decent amount of shared memory. This can be configured by editting the
file /etc/sysctl.conf - e.g.

% sudo vi /etc/sysctl.conf

On a MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM, the author's sysctl.conf contains:

kern.sysv.shmmax=1610612736
kern.sysv.shmall=393216
kern.sysv.shmmin=1
kern.sysv.shmmni=32
kern.sysv.shmseg=8
kern.maxprocperuid=512
kern.maxproc=2048

Note that (kern.sysv.shmall * 4096) should be greater than or equal to
kern.sysv.shmmax. kern.sysv.shmmax must also be a multiple of 4096.

Once you have edited (or created) the file, reboot before continuing with
the installation. If you wish to check the settings currently being used by
the kernel, you can use the sysctl utility:

% sysctl -a

--
Dave Page