Re: Backup/Restore problem (Windows) - newbie

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Backup/Restore problem (Windows) - newbie
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:55 AM, rockyp <rockyp@rockyp.com> wrote:

> I have looked at prior messages on this topic, but haven't been able to get
> my restore to work.
>
> I am doing a backup on my client's server (I've tried, PLAIN, COMPRESSED,
> SCHEMA/DATA only).
>
> I then copy the file to my PC and want to restore here. I've tried the
> restore in PGAdmin, but the restore option is disabled. Or I try to restore
> the PLAIN versions, and again it is disabled. If I rename the .backup to
> .sql, I can load the SQL script, but it fails immediately.
>
> I guess my questions are....
>
> 1) Obviously, what are the steps to do a successful restore on a different
> PC?

Make sure the are appropriate versions of pg_dump/pg_restore can be
found. Check the path under File -> Options. That should ensure the
backup/restore options are enabled when you select an appropriate
object in the tree.

> 2) If I restore over my existing (old) DB, do I need to empty the tables, or
> delete and recreate the DB first?

I'd create a new database. In the next major release there will be a
'clean' option though so you will be able to load over an existing
database.

--
Dave Page