Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15

От Wolfgang Walther
Тема Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Pavel Stehule:
>     But in this case you could make variables and tables share the same
>     namespace, i.e. forbid creating a variable with the same name as an
>     already existing table.
>

> It helps, but not on 100% - there is a search path

I think we can ignore the search_path for this discussion. That's not a
problem of variables vs tables, but just a search path related problem.
It is exactly the same thing right now, when you create a new table x(x)
in a schema which happens to be earlier in your search path.

The objection to the proposed approach for variables was that it would
introduce *new* ambiguities, which Alvaro's suggestion avoids.

Best,

Wolfgang