Re: Performance Improvement for Unique Indexes

От Gokulakannan Somasundaram
Тема Re: Performance Improvement for Unique Indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
There is no issue with that. Because we are taking a Dirty Snapshot to do the comparison not the MVCC one. But this should be used only for unique checks and not for the visibility checks.

Gokul.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Gokulakannan Somasundaram
<gokul007@gmail.com> wrote:
>    While i was studying the unique index checks very closely, i realized
> that what we need is to find out whether the tuple is deleted / not. So say
> a tuple is deleted by a transaction, but it is not dead( because of some
> long running transaction ), still we can mark a hint bit as deleted and it
> will help the subsequent transactions doing the unique checks. As a matter
> of fact, it will help the deferred_unique cases, since it will anyway check
> the tuples twice, if there is a duplicate.
>    So we have one bit left in the Index Tuple that can be used as hint bit.
> If we are ready to break the disk compatibility, then we can store the size
> as a multiple of 8, and we will get three bits free. Any comments?

I don't think this works.  The postulated long-running transaction
would also see the hint bit...

...Robert

Сообщение: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add connection messages for streaming replication.
Сообщение: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add connection messages for streaming replication.