Re: Why could GEQO produce plans with lower costs than thestandard_join_search?

От Donald Dong
Тема Re: Why could GEQO produce plans with lower costs than thestandard_join_search?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Thank you very much for the explanation! I think the join order
benchmark I used [1] is somewhat representative, however, I probably
didn't use the most accurate cost estimation.

I find the cost from cheapest_total_path->total_cost is different
from the cost from  queryDesc->planstate->total_cost. What I saw was
that GEQO tends to form paths with lower
cheapest_total_path->total_cost (aka the fitness of the children).
However, standard_join_search is more likely to produce a lower
queryDesc->planstate->total_cost, which is the cost we get using
explain.

I wonder why those two total costs are different? If the total_cost
from the planstate is more accurate, could we use that instead as the
fitness in geqo_eval?

[1] https://github.com/gregrahn/join-order-benchmark

Regards,
Donald Dong