Re: Extension-specific version release notes?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Extension-specific version release notes?
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Andrew Grossman <agrossman@songtrust.com> writes:
>> I'm having difficulty finding version difference information about native
>> extensions. For instance, I have an instance running citext version 1.1 and
>> an update command will take it up to 1.6. I was hoping that I'd see some
>> information about version history specific to the extension on the
>> extension's documentation page, but I don't see any reference to extension
>> versioning.

Well, you could always look at the extension delta scripts and see
what they do :-)

Generally speaking, if an extension has actual user-visible feature
changes, those'll be called out in its section of the release notes
for the PG major release where they appeared.  However there are
a lot of cases where we bump an extension's version in order to do
some housekeeping that isn't too interesting on its own.  For example,
if you look into citext--1.1--1.2.sql you'll discover that that's
mostly just plastering PARALLEL SAFE annotations on most of the
extension's functions, which was housekeeping that we needed after
introducing parallel query in the core code.  But it doesn't seem terribly
useful to document such a thing separately for each affected extension.