Re: Definging columns for INSERT statements

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Definging columns for INSERT statements
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 6/12/24 14:11, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I have > 100 rows to add to a table using INSERT INTO statements. I want
> the
> PK to be the next value in the sequence. Would this be the appropriate
> syntax for the columns to be entered?
>
> INSERT INTO people (person_nbr
> DEFAULT('people_person_nbr_seq'),lname,fname,job_title DEFAULT
> 'Contact',company_nbr,loc_nbr,direct_phone,cell_phone,email,active
> DEFAULT('true')) VALUES
> ( ...

Assuming 'people_person_nbr_seq' is the sequence attached to person_nbr
and the other DEFAULTs are the column  defaults then the syntax would be:

INSERT INTO people
(person_nbr, lname, fname, job_title, company_nbr,loc_nbr, direct_phone,
cell_phone,email, active)
VALUES
(DEFAULT, 'klaver', 'adrian', DEFAULT, 1, 1, '555-1234', '555-4321',
'adrian.klaver@aklaver.com', DEFAULT);

If they are not the column defaults then just supply the literal value.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com