n00b RAID + wal hot standby question

От Anton Melser
Тема n00b RAID + wal hot standby question
Дата
Re: n00b RAID + wal hot standby question  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
Re: n00b RAID + wal hot standby question  (Casey Duncan <casey@pandora.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,
I am just starting at a company and we are inheriting a previously
built solution. It looks pretty good but my previous experience with
pg is seriously small-time compared with this...
I am very new at the job, and don't know what hd config we have but it
will be RAID-something I imagine (hey I was working with desktop
"servers" before this!). If that is very important I can find out. We
seem to be saving our WAL to the same partition as PGDATA, and I
notice that we are maxing out a reasonable looking server. The db is
not very big (~4gig, 400meg pgdump), and though I can't see any vacuum
strategy (autovacuum on a 8.1.4 is disabled), we didn't have as much
consistent CPU usage at my old job (with a 6 gig db and MUCH less CPU
and RAM, and probably as many connections), and my vacuum strategy was
also pitiful!  Sure, completely different environments, but I am
thinking that WAL replication could be a factor.
So my question... being in complete ignorance of how RAID works (the
performance details)... would it be better to try and separate the WAL
destination from PGDATA? How much of a difference could it make?
Should we wait till the customer starts complaining (no explosion in
traffic/db size realistic for the foreseeable future...)?
Any abuse welcome.
Cheers
Antoine