Re: Creation of FK without enforcing constraint for existing data

От sivapostgres@yahoo.com
Тема Re: Creation of FK without enforcing constraint for existing data
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

I need to create a Foreign Key for a table without enforcing the constraint for existing data.   Few orphan exists in existing data, which we plan to resolve it later.

We use the following query to create the FK [ Which of course checks for the presence of record in referencing table]

ALTER TABLE public.table1
    ADD CONSTRAINT "constraint1_FK" FOREIGN KEY (field1)
    REFERENCES public.tabnle2(field2) MATCH SIMPLE
    ON UPDATE RESTRICT
    ON DELETE RESTRICT;

The facility NOT to check for the presence of the parent record is available in SQL Server.   Searching an equivalent option in PostGreSQL.  Is it available?   Else any other way to achieve this.

Happiness Always
BKR Sivaprakash