Re: Threads vs Processes (was: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for window s)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Threads vs Processes (was: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for window s)
Дата
Re: Threads vs Processes (was: NuSphere and PostgreSQL  (Manfred Spraul <manfred@colorfullife.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Claudio Natoli <claudio.natoli@memetrics.com> writes:
>> How are you dealing with the issue of wanting some static variables to
>> be per-thread and others not?

> To be perfectly honest, I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the code
> sufficiently well so that I can tell which variables need to be per-thread
> and which are shared (and, in turn, which of these need to be protected from
> concurrent access).

Well, the first-order approximation would be to duplicate the current
fork semantics: *all* static variables are per-thread, and should be
copied from the parent thread at thread creation.  If there is some
reasonably non-invasive way to do that, we'd have a long leg up on the
problem.