Re: Configuration starting point...

От Filip Rembiałkowski
Тема Re: Configuration starting point...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
2007/9/19, Nathan Wilhelmi <wilhelmi@ucar.edu>:
> Hello - Several people kindly responded directly to me with some
> specific suggestions for this, however the message was mistakenly
> deleted and not in the archives. If you remember who you are and
> wouldn't mind resending that would be fantastic!

here you are, all posts from this thread are below.

BTW, what happened to the archives?

Nathan Wilhelmi <wilhelmi@ucar.edu>         10 August 2007 17:25
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Hello - Just installed 8.2.4 on a Solaris 9 box. It's an 8-way (15000
MHz sparc) with 32GB of ram. We don't know the exact table structure yet
or access patterns, although the first thing that will be looked at is a
Sesame triple store DB. I would expect that this DB will be more skewed
to reads than writes. Based on this, are the out of the box configs
pretty good or are there any recommended changes I should be making to
start with?

Thanks!

-Nate

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Ben <bench@silentmedia.com>     10 August 2007 18:00
To: Nathan Wilhelmi <wilhelmi@ucar.edu>
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
The out-of-the-box configs are pretty awful for you. Read some
list archives (from this list and pgsql-performance) and also take a look
at http://www.powerpostgresql.com/Downloads/annotated_conf_80.html
[Quoted text hidden]
      match

Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>     10 August 2007 18:31
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Nathan Wilhelmi wrote:

> are the out of the box configs pretty good or are there any recommended
> changes I should be making to start with?

The out of the box configuration is wildly inappropriate for your system,
and there are few examples of something appropriate to point you at--much
of the information floating around is out of date for your class of
hardware.

See http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/pg-5minute.htm for
something current to get you started.  That will lead you to additional
resources you can drill into from there, and includes some disclaimers
about what you should ignore in the guides that haven't been updated
recently.

[Quoted text hidden]