Re: Coercion in PGSQL?

От Filip Rembiałkowski
Тема Re: Coercion in PGSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
2007/1/16, Max Ueda <mhanzo@yahoo.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I've been wondering with some wrong results that are
> being returned from some functions in my application.
> Basically, they are algebraic functions dealing with
> int values.
>
> Some results made me think of coercion between int
> types. For example, atributing a int8 value into a
> int2 variable. Does it really happen (coercion)? Is
> the int8 value automatically converted into int2, or
> an error should be returned in that case?

AFAIK, the coercion does occur when needed but it gives a clear error
message when appropriate. I mean simple situations like

CREATE TABLE test ( i4 INT4, i8 INT8 );
insert into test ( i8 ) select 99999999999999999;
update test set i4 = i8;
ERROR:  integer out of range

Could you perhaps give an example of your problem?