Re: max_wal_size

От p.luzanov@postgrespro.ru
Тема Re: max_wal_size
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
David,

> This setting is the indirect means to ensure that the WAL directory
> doesn't get too large by forcing a checkpoint thus allowing the
> corresponding WAL to be removed.

This is a soft limit, ok.
But the question is a little different.

Suppose we have: version >= 11, no replication slots, archive_mode =
off.
Checkpoint_timeout is big enough, so checkpoints triggered only by
max_wal_size (1GB).
checkpoint_completion_target = 1.

What size of WAL files will be generated between checkpoints?
1GB or 0.5GB?

As I understand the description of max_wal_size(Maximum size to let the
WAL grow to between automatic WAL checkpoints), the answer is 1GB.
But it seems that the right answer is 0.5GB.

-----
Pavel Luzanov
The Russian Postgres Company