Re: Unixware Patch (Was: Re: Beta2 Tag'd and Bundled ...)

От Larry Rosenman
Тема Re: Unixware Patch (Was: Re: Beta2 Tag'd and Bundled ...)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

--On Tuesday, September 02, 2003 11:35:25 -0400 Bruce Momjian
<pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> Larry Rosenman wrote:
>>

>> --On Tuesday, September 02, 2003 11:20:14 -0400 Bruce Momjian
>> <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

>> > Right.  We can't assume because a *_r function is missing that the
>> > normal function is thread-safe.
>> So, given that UnixWare doesn't have gethostbyname_r and strerror_r, but
>> does have
>> getpwuid_r, will y'all declare that UnixWare has thread-safety?
>>
>> My vote is YES.
>
> I am inclined to think yes.  It would prevent uglification of the code
> by not having to special-case Unixware.
>
> However, I was able to read the libc sources to confirm thread-safety.
> Because you can not see the source, would you try a threaded program and
> see if calls to getpwuid from different threads return different
> pointer values?
It won't prove anything on MY box, as it is a UNIPROCESSOR, so the threads
won't be dispatched at the same time.

It's ok to assume thread-safety, as the SCO developer (Kean Johnston) asked
the threads guys, and he said that the libc stuff is thread-safe so they
don't have to have 2 different versions in libc.

LER

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Unixware Patch (Was: Re: Beta2 Tag'd and Bundled ...)
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: C++ and a stored procudre