Re: LGPL

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: LGPL
Дата
Re: LGPL  (Peter Galbavy <peter.galbavy@knowtion.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
>> With libreadline, we are not taking their code or distributing it, but
>> merely linking to it if it exists.

> But we are also requiring it. The rpms won't install unless readline is
> available.

The RPMs require it --- not our source code.  Since the RPMs can only
work atop a GPL OS (Linux), it hardly matters in that context.

What is important is that it is possible, and useful, to build Postgres
in a completely non-GPL environment.  If that were not so then I think
we'd have some license issues.  But the fact that building PG in a
GPL-ized environment creates a GPL-ized binary is not a problem from my
point of view.  You've already bought into the GPL if you're using that
environment.