Re: Is there an upper limit on the size of an array if it is indexed?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Is there an upper limit on the size of an array if it is indexed?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
AlexK <alkuzo@gmail.com> writes:
> I have created a unique index on an array of integers, and it works for a
> small test case:

> create table i(id int not null primary key,
> v int[] not null unique );

> insert into i(id, v) values(1, ARRAY[1,2]);

> -- fails
> insert into i(id, v) values(2, ARRAY[1,2]);
> -- succeeds
> insert into i(id, v) values(2, ARRAY[2,1]);

> Is there an upper limit on the size of an array being indexed? I am
> currently considering arrays of 2K-3K integers.

PG btrees have an item size limit of a couple of KB, so I don't think
this is going to work well for you.

Some people have gotten around that by using a unique index on a hash
value.  If you use something like MD5, the odds of a false collision
are probably low enough to tolerate.
        regards, tom lane

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Is there an upper limit on the size of an array if it is indexed?
Сообщение: Re: Is there an upper limit on the size of an array if it is indexed?