Re: MMAP Buffers

От Joshua Berkus
Тема Re: MMAP Buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert,

> Actually, I'd walk through fire for a 10% performance improvement if
> it meant only a *risk* to stability.

Depends on the degree of risk.  MMAP has the potential to introduce instability into areas of the code which have been
completelyreliable for years.  Adding 20 new coredump cases with data loss for a 10% improvement seems like a poor
bargainto me.  It doesn't help that the only DB to rely heavily on MMAP (MongoDB) is OSSDB's paragon of data loss.

However, in the case where the database is larger than RAM ... or better, 90% of RAM ... MMAP has the theoretical
potentialto improve performance quite a bit more than 10% ... try up to 900% on some queries.  However, I'd like to
provethat in a test before we bother even debating the fundamental obstacles to using MMAP.  It's possible that these
theoreticalperformance benefits will not materialize, even without data safeguards.

> The problem is that this is
> likely unfixably broken. In particular, I think the first sentence of
> Tom's response hit it right on the nose, and mirrors my own thoughts
> on the subject. To have any chance of working, you'd need to track
> buffer pins and shared/exclusive content locks for the pages that were
> being accessed outside of shared buffers; otherwise someone might be
> looking at a stale copy of the page.

Nothing is unfixable.  The question is whether it's worth the cost.  Let me see if I can build a tree with Radislaw's
patch,and do some real performance tests.

I, for one, am glad he did this work.  We've discussed MMAP in the code off and on for years, but nobody wanted to do
thework to test it.  Now someone has, and we can decide whether it's worth pursuing based on the numbers.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.