Re: Additional current timestamp values

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Additional current timestamp values
Дата
Re: Additional current timestamp values  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> The patch as given strikes me as pretty broken --- it does not advance
>> statement_timestamp when I would expect (AFAICS it only sets it during
>> transaction start).

> Uh, it does advance:

But not once per statement --- in reality, you get a fairly arbitrary
behavior that will advance in some cases and not others when dealing
with a multi-statement querystring.  Your example showing that it fails
to advance in a psql -c string shows this ... don't you think most
people would call that a bug?

If it's "statement" timestamp then I think it ought to advance once per
SQL statement, which this isn't doing.  (As I already said, though, that
isn't the behavior I really want.  My point is just that the code's
behavior is an extremely strange, nonintuitive definition of the word
"statement".)

> I have always been confused if
> statement_timeout times queries inside server-side functions, for
> example.  I don't think it should.

That's exactly my point; I agree that we don't want it doing that,
but that being the case, "statement" isn't a great name for the units
that we are actually processing.  We're really wanting to do these
things once per client command, or maybe per client query would be a
better name.