Re: ZFS filesystem - supported ?

От Mladen Gogala
Тема Re: ZFS filesystem - supported ?
Дата
Re: ZFS filesystem - supported ?
Список pgsql-general
On 10/23/21 09:37, Laura Smith wrote:
> Hi Mladen,
>
> Yes indeed, snapshots is the primary reason, closely followed by zfssend/receive.
>
> I'm no stranger to using LVM snapshots with ext4/xfs but it requires a custom shell script to manage the whole
processaround backups.  I feel the whole thing could well be a lot cleaner with zfs.

> Thank you for the links, I will take a look.
>
> Laura

Yes, ZFS is extremely convenient. It's a volume manager and a file
system, all rolled into one, with some additiional convenient tools.
However, performance is a major concern. If your application is OLTP,
ZFS might be a tad too slow for your performance requirements. On the
other hand, snapshots can save you  a lot of time with backups,
especially if you have some commercial backup capable of multiple
readers. If your application is OLTP, ZFS might be a tad too slow for
your performance requirements. The only way to find out is to test. The
ideal tool for testing is pgio:

https://kevinclosson.net/2019/09/21/announcing-pgio-the-slob-method-for-postgresql-is-released-under-apache-2-0-and-available-at-github/

For those who do not know, Kevin Closson was the technical architect who
has built both Exadata and EMC XTRemIO. He is now the principal engineer
of the Amazon RDS. This part is intended only for those who would tell
him that "Oracle has it is not good enough" if he ever decided to post here.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Issue with pg_basebackup v.11
От: Дмитрий Иванов
Сообщение: Re: Python3 for PostgreSQL 14