Re: BUG #5911: pg_notify() function only works when channel name is lower case

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #5911: pg_notify() function only works when channel name is lower case
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
"Joshua McDougall" <josh@schemaverse.com> writes:
> When using the pg_notify(text,text) function, the channel name MUST be lower
> case otherwise the message does not go through.

It's not clear to me that this is a bug.  The argument of NOTIFY is a
SQL identifier, which is folded to lower case by the lexer if not
double-quoted, but the argument of pg_notify is a string constant which
is a different matter altogether.

We could have pg_notify lowercase its argument at runtime, but then
we'd have to introduce quoting rules, so that you could do

    select pg_notify('"IntentionallyMixedCase"', '...');

This isn't a lot clearer than the current behavior, and it definitely
wouldn't be backwards compatible.  So I'm inclined to leave it alone.