Re: uuid type for postgres

От Bob Ippolito
Тема Re: uuid type for postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sep 7, 2005, at 10:04 AM, nathan wagner wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 09:45:17AM -0700, josh@agliodbs.com wrote:
>

>> I think the issue is portability.  Remember that this type needs
>> to work on
>> Windows as well as all POSIX platforms and AIX.
>>

> I had forgotten about windows.  I'll see to what extent the library
> i'm
> using is portable to windows.

You don't need to use a non-standard library for a lot of platforms,
you're pretty much guaranteed UUID support for (at least):
Linux/Darwin/Mac OS X: uuid_generate <uuid/uuid.h> (part of libc, at
least on Darwin)
FreeBSD: uuid_create <uuid.h> (again, libc)
Windows: UuidCreate <Rpc.h> (link to Rpcrt4.dll, IIRC)

Where a native UUID generate is not available, you can include some
implementation, but surely other platforms also include UUID
implementations.

I think Windows portability is a non-issue here.

-bob