Re: How to pg_dumpall without root password

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: How to pg_dumpall without root password
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dat Chu <dattanchu@gmail.com> writes:
> I am the new sysadmin and was given the task to move a postgresql
> installation from one box to another. So I want to do pg_dumpall .

> However, there is no record of postgresql superuser/root password. I
> do have root access to the system however.

Edit pg_hba.conf to allow local "trust" access.  SIGHUP or restart
postmaster.  Connect as postgres user and set password as you see fit.
Restore the previous pg_hba.conf settings (and SIGHUP again).

If you're worried about having the system insecure even transiently
against local bad guys, it's possible to do this without opening any
hole, but it requires taking the DB down for a few minutes so you can
do the password change in standalone mode.