Re: Built-in CTYPE provider

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Built-in CTYPE provider
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2024-07-18 at 16:45 +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Thu, 2024-07-18 at 07:00 -0700, Noah Misch wrote:
> >  What I am against is routinely updating the built-in provider to
> > adopt any changes
> > > that Unicode makes.

That is a perfectly reasonable position; please add it to the version
18 discussion[1].

> > Given all the messages on this thread, if the feature remains in
> > PostgreSQL, I
> > advise you to be ready to tolerate PostgreSQL "routinely updating
> > the built-in
> > provider to adopt any changes that Unicode makes".  Maybe someone
> > will change
> > something in v18 so it's not like that, but don't count on it.

> In that case I am against it.  Against the "routinely" in particular.

Also, please see my response[2] to Noah. I don't believe his statement
above is an accurate characterization. There's plenty of opportunity
for deliberation and compromise in version 18, and my mind is still
open to pretty much everything, up to and including freezing Unicode
updates if necessary[3].

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

[1]