Re: Some advanced database features, are they present in PostgreSQL

От Adam Ruth
Тема Re: Some advanced database features, are they present in PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>    - hard transactions: cutting the power to a PostgreSQL server
>      may cause data loss and/or data corruption. Some databases use
>      sophisticated techniques to ensure serialization of operation
>      through journaling, redoing some of the transactions at
>      bootup time if required.
>
>    - ability to have databases bigger than the host's maximum file size

Neither of these are problems in PostgreSQL.  Tom Lane already answered the
transaction one, but I'll answer the size one.  PostgreSQL stores each table
in a separate file, and will store a table in multiple files if it becomes
larger than about 1 gig.  I've had (for testing, not production) databases
with 30 GB of data on Linux where the file limit was 2 GB.

As for your other two concerns, I'd like to see them fixed as well.  I
handle those issues currently at the application level, but I'm considering
writing a small change to the core to provide that functionality (as soon as
I finish my other add on projects).

--
Adam Ruth
InterCation, Inc.