Database upgrade Pg11 to Pg12 issues

От Simon Windsor
Тема Database upgrade Pg11 to Pg12 issues
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hi

I have upgraded many Pg databases from 9 to 10 to 11 using the Ubuntu pg_upgradecluster command (wrapper to pg_update) without issues, however today I upgraded a DB from 11 to 12.

Using the syntax

pg_upgradecluser -k -m upgrade 11 main

using the latest 12.5 binaries all appeared to work well, and for a 330G DB this took 2 minutes. On starting the DB using

systemctl start postgresql@12.service

the DB started, but the screen showed the default directory was /var/lib/postgresql/11/main. Checking the open database with

show data_directory; gave /var/lib/postgresql/12/main

Then using lsof | grep '11/main' gave no files, but lsof | grep '12/main' gave over 30K files, Checking the directory sizes suggests that 11/main is 300G and 12/main is 40G

So all appears OK, with files hard linked between 11/main and 12/main, and I assume the issue relates to the PGDATA/postgresql.auto.conf file being just copied from the original 11/main with data_directory being set to /var/lib/postgresql/11/main.

If I where to run pg_dropcluster 11 main to remove the old database and conf files, will this destroy my running Pg12 database with hard linked files in 11/main and 12/main? In theory it shouldn't and files from 11/main and 12/main will all be under 12/main, I just have doubts.

Is there an easy way to tidy this up?

Simon

--
Simon Windsor

Eml: simon.windsor@cornfield.me.uk

“There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey.”