Re: Turning off HOT/Cleanup sometimes

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Turning off HOT/Cleanup sometimes
Дата
Re: Turning off HOT/Cleanup sometimes  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On September 19, 2014 10:16:35 PM CEST, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>On 19 September 2014 13:04, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What I'm thinking about is that the smarts to enable pruning is all
>in
>> the executor nodes.  So anything that updates the catalog without
>> going through the executor will never be subject to pruning.  That
>> includes nearly all catalog-modifying code throughout the backend.
>
>Are you saying this is a problem or a benefit? (and please explain
>why).

I have no idea what Robert is thinking of, but I'd imagine its horrible for workloads with catalog bloat. Like ones
involvingtemp tables.

I generally have serious doubts about disabling it generally for read workloads. I imagine it e.g. will significantly
penalizeworkloads where its likely that a cleanup lock can't be acquired every time...

Andres

---
Please excuse brevity and formatting - I am writing this on my mobile phone.

Сообщение: Re: Turning off HOT/Cleanup sometimes
Сообщение: Re: Turning off HOT/Cleanup sometimes