Re: User input to queries

От Rob Sargent
Тема Re: User input to queries
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 12/9/20 10:03 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:

While I develop the application's GUI I use the database from the command
line (psql). While some queries are self-contained others need user input.
I've not found a search term that locates this information in the
postgres-12 user manual and my web searches suggest that using '&' should
work.

I tried the latter with this query but postgres didn't like it. (There may
well be other errors in it so don't hesitate to point out my mistakes.)

------
/* This query selects all activity information for a named person */

/* Specify columns */
SELECT p.lname, p.fname, p.loc_nbr, p.job_title, p.direct_phone, p.active,
       o.org_name,
       l.loc_nbr, l.loc_name,
       a.act_date, a.act_type, a.notes, a.next_contact
/* Specify tables. */ FROM People AS p
     JOIN Organizations AS o ON o.org_nbr = p.org_nbr
     JOIN Locations AS l ON l.org_nbr = o.org_nbr and l.loc_nbr = p.loc_nbr
     JOIN Activities AS a ON a.person_nbr = p.person_nbr
/* Specify rows */ WHERE p.lname = &p.lname AND p.fname = &p.fname;
-----

Suggestions on what I should read to learn more about this subject are
appreciated.

Regards,

Rich

Put the query in a file, set the desired name, then from psql

\i filename

Edit pfname, repeat