Re: How to store "blobs" efficiently for small and large sizes, with random access

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: How to store "blobs" efficiently for small and large sizes, with random access
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2022-10-20 at 10:32 +0200, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> But before I finish this thread for now, I'd like to add that I
> consider unfortunate a state of affairs where
> NOT putting the data in the DB is the mostly agreed upon advice. It
> IMHO points to a weak point of
> PostgreSQL, which does not invest in those use-cases with large data,
> perhaps with more file-system
> like techniques.

Relational databases are general-purpose software, but that doesn't
mean that they are the right tool for everything.  And storing large
files is not what they are good at.  File systems are the right tool
here.

> FWIW, when Oracle introduced SecureFile blobs years ago in v11, it
> represented a leap forward in
> performance, and back then we were seeing them being 3x faster than LO
> at GB sizes, if I recall correctly,

I don't know what exactly they are, but I suspect that they are just
files (segments?) in Oracle's "file system" (tablespaces/datafiles).
So pretty much what we recommend.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe